HOBSCOTCH is a self-management program designed to help people with epilepsy find ways to manage and cope with their memory and thinking challenges in order to lead happier, more productive lives.
What does HOBSCOTCH involve?
8 sessions of 45-60 minutes
1-on-1 guidance from a trained Cognitive Coach
Memory Toolbox to build customized strategies
Weekly testing and refining strategies
- Education teaches the basics of memory and how seizures and variables related to epilepsy may impact memory and thinking.
- Self-awareness training teaches you to be aware of the multiple internal and external influences that may impact memory and thinking.
- Memory strategies are used to aid in improving day-to-day cognitive challenges; the HOBSCOTCH Memory Toolbox provides “tried and true” strategies to help you feel more in control.
- Problem Solving Therapy (PST) provides skills for you to systematically work through cognitive related difficulties and real-life problems.
- Mindfulness uses progressive muscle relaxation and deep breathing exercises to help reduce stress and anxiety.
HOBSCOTCH is a behavioral program designed to address memory and attention problems in adults with epilepsy. The program is designed to help adults with seizures find ways to manage and cope with memory and thinking challenges in order to lead happier, more productive lives.
This evidence-based self-management program consists of eight one-on-one sessions between a person with epilepsy and a trained and certified HOBSCOTCH Cognitive Coach. Program participants set the goals for each session. With education and guidance from their Coach, participants learn how to identify memory-related problems in daily life, build solutions to address problems, and put into action strategies to help them feel more in control. The program is designed to improve quality of life by improving memory-related issues, while enhancing self-efficacy and self-confidence.
HOBSCOTCH has been shown to be effective for adults with epilepsy who are experiencing memory problems. The program is for people with controlled or uncontrolled seizures.
- Transportation for two in-person sessions (if Covid allows)
- Stable internet access and webcam/zoom/google meet or other virtual platform for virtual sessions. Approximately 45-60 minutes needed per week.
- Reliable telephone access and reception for HOBSCOTCH calls as needed.
Why do I need HOBSCOTCH?
Managing a condition like epilepsy can be complex and frustrating. Seizures can make it hard to work, go to school, drive, and take part in social activities. Sometimes epilepsy treatment makes these activities harder, too. Self-management skills like those taught in the HOBSCOTCH program can help people take control of their health and cope with their day-to-day challenges.
How to Register for HOBSCOTCH
If you are interested in registering for HOBSCOTCH in Newfoundland and Labrador please contact Alicia Legge, Certified HOBSCOTCH Memory Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 709-722-0502 or 1-866-EPILEPSY
If you are outside Newfoundland and Labrador please contact MEWprograms@hitchcock.org to find the best program offering for your area.